14 Nov Sacred Hill Special Selection vintage continues on stellar course
The team at Sacred Hill are humbled after an exciting run of accolades for four of their Special Selection wines, most notably, a double gold in the 6 Nations Wine Challenge and two medals at the Hawke’s Bay Wine Awards.
A delighted Sacred Hill Managing Director David Mason says the recent tributes are a welcome reward for the Sacred Hill winemaking team who put their heart and soul into making world class, deliciously drinkable wines. “We don’t make wine with awards in mind but it is tremendously gratifying for the whole Sacred Hill team to have our wines recognised by the judges.”
The premiere award is the double gold for the Helmsman at the 6 Nations Wine Challenge in Sydney recently. The international judging panel compare the very best from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and The United States with New Zealand wines performing strongly this year. David says “It’s no mistake that the Helmsman is good. The team love crafting wine from our very special site in the heart of the Gimblett Gravels. Planted in 2002, the fruit just keeps improving as the vines age.”
Following the outstanding success of the 2013 vintage release of Sacred Hill’s iconic range, it is apparent that the latest vintage is equally exceptional.
The awards and accolades the Sacred Hill Special Selection wines have garnered include:
- 6 Nations Wine Challenge – 2013 Sacred Hill Helmsman won the Double Gold in the Bordeaux Blends Class at the Sydney based competition.
- Wine Enthusiast – The 2013 Sacred Hill Deerstalkers Syrah was rated 92 out of 100 at the awards and the 2014 vintage scored 93. A score of 90 – 94 on the 100-point scale reflects a wine that is of outstanding quality!
- Air NZ Fine Wines of NZ – 2014 Sacred Hill Riflemans was named on The Fine Wines of New Zealand list. A list of the country’s most prestigious wines as selected by six of the nations leading independent wine experts.
- Hawke’s Bay Wine Awards – New Zealand’s oldest regional wine awards saw Sacred Hill Special Selection wines pick up a Gold medal for the 2014 Sacred Hill Helmsman and a Silver for the 2014 Sacred Hill Deerstalkers Syrah.
- Cameron Douglas Reviews – Cameron Douglas is New Zealand’s only Master Sommelier and he rated the 2015 Sacred Hill Wine Thief Chardonnay a 92 score and the 2015 Sacred Hill Riflemans Chardonnay a 93.