24 Jun Recipe: Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken
This beautiful roast chicken goes great with a glass of Sacred Hill Reserve Chardonnay, and nothing is better on chilly winter weekends.
- Roast chicken
- 1 lemon – sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 large onion
- Fresh rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200° (or 180° fan-bake)
- Chop the rosemary & thyme finely – leaving enough of each to scatter in the roasting pan. Mix the chopped herbs, 1 clove of minced garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper with the butter.
- Rub the butter mixture all over the chicken – both underneath the skin and outside.
- Lay the chicken (breast side up) in your roasting pan with the onion, lemon, remaining garlic cloves, herbs and ½ cup of water.
- Roast for 30 minutes, then turn the chicken over and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Add another ½ cup of water, turn the chicken once more (so it’s breast side up again) and cook until juices run clear / whole roast is cooked through.